John and Roberta Carey
2017 Oklahoma History Conference
Presented by the Oklahoma Historical Society
April 26, 27, and 28, 2017 | Hard Rock Hotel, Catoosa, Oklahoma
Join the Oklahoma Historical Society for the 2017 Oklahoma History Conference at the Hard Rock Hotel in Catoosa. The theme for this year's conference is "Tall Tales and Blue Whales: The Cultural Influence of Northeastern Oklahoma."
The 2017 conference will feature many optional activities:
- A Wednesday evening concert, "Black Town Blues and North Tulsa Jazz," at the historic Cain's Ballroom featuring Oklahoma native Ernie Fields, who has put bands together for The Voice, American Idol, and a number of national awards shows.
- Sixteen presentation sessions on a wide range of topics pertaining to the theme.
- The Annual Conference Luncheon with Cherokee Chief Bill John Baker, Chickasaw Governor Bill Anoatubby, and Creek Chief James Floyd.
- A bus tour to the Port of Catoosa.
- A bus tour of Route 66 including stops at the Blue Whale, the Foyil Totem Pole Park, the Claremore Historical Society Museum, and the Will Rogers Birthplace Ranch.
- A dinner and program at the Will Rogers Memorial on Thursday evening.
- The Annual Awards Luncheon including the induction of new members into the Oklahoma Historians Hall of Fame and the distribution of other awards.
- A plenary session featuring Nora Guthrie and Carolyn Wills, the daughters of Woody Guthrie and Bob Wills.
Black Town Blues and North Tulsa Jazz concert
The Oklahoma Historical Society presents an OKPOP concert, "Black Town Blues and North Tulsa Jazz," on Wednesday, April 26, at historic Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa's Brady Arts District. The doors will open at 6 pm and the music will begin at 7 pm. The concert will feature Ernie Fields Jr. and his all-star band, with a performance by Dr. Harold Aldridge. Oklahoma Joe's BBQ will be open and available from 6 to 8 pm.
Conference registration is $15 for OHS members and $20 for nonmembers. Optional activities including luncheons, bus tours, dinner, and a concert are available for an additional fee.
The deadline for registration is April 21, 2017. Please print and complete the registration form and mail to the address below. To register by phone call 405-522-0317; please have a credit or debit card ready. We will hold your name tag, event admissions, and other materials in a packet at the registration table.
Mail completed form to:
Oklahoma Historical Society
800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tulsa
777 West Cherokee Street
Catoosa, OK 74015
To reserve a room, please call 1-800-760-6700 or reserve online at hardrockcasino.com. Click "Start Your Reservation," then under "access or promotional code" select "Group Code." Our code is OKHISTORYAPRIL2017 and the state rate for a standard room is $91. Be sure to call and make your reservation by April 5, 2017, to get the special rate. The special rates are good for the nights of April 26 and 27.
Celebrate the 4th Anniversary of the Woody Guthrie Center
The Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, will celebrate their anniversary April 22–30 with live music, book discussions, film screenings, and more! More information is available on the Woody Guthrie Center's website