Home > about >  Press Release

12/22/14

NEWS RELEASE

Contact: Lynda Ozan
Oklahoma Historical Society
Office: 405-522-4478
Fax: 405-522-0816
lozan@okhistory.org
www.okhistory.org

New Oklahoma National Register Listings

Oklahoma City, Okla. -- The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce six new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation's official list of properties significant in our past.

Union School District 19 1/2, located at the intersection of 149th Street and South Luther Road in the vicinity of Newalla, is a rural separate school in Cleveland County. The school is significant for its role in education and African American heritage. Constructed around 1936, the school served as the separate school in Stella until the statewide desegregation of the schools in the mid-1950s resulted in its abandonment. The Union School District 19 1/2 continued to function as a community center and church until recent years.

Bacone College Historic District is located in Muskogee, Muskogee County. It is significant in the areas of Education, Art and Architecture. Bacone College occupies a unique position in the history of education in the state of Oklahoma. As the only American Indian college in the state, Bacone College is significant in its association with the educational opportunities and practices for American Indians from the late 1800s to the mid-1950s. Although other public institutions admitted American Indians, this occurred well after Bacone College was established. Bacone College is significant not only for its role in the education of American Indians but also in its role in the development of American Indian art and for its noteworthy collection of high style buildings.

The Town House Hotel, located at 627 Northwest Fifth Street in Oklahoma City, is located along the southern boundary of Midtown. The Town House has been a residential hotel, a particular type of multiple dwelling popular in the United States and Oklahoma City in the 1920s through the 1940s. It exemplifies a pattern of semipermanent residential units erected to attract persons in transit between permanent residences. The building is an excellent example of a combination of Spanish Colonial Revival and Art Deco architecture. The significance of the building is identified as Community Planning and Development and Architecture.

The Kennedy Mansion, located at 205 South Okmulgee Avenue in Okmulgee, is significant for its architectural style. The Kennedy Mansion represents traditional American architecture in its use of the Colonial Revival vocabulary, as it demonstrates the distinctive characteristics associated with the Colonial Revival style; specifically the house represents a rare subtype. The property is identified as a subtype of the Colonial Revival style as it has a hipped roof with a full-width porch. Approximately one-third of Colonial Revival style houses built before 1915 were of this type.

Located at 2624 West McElroy Road in Stillwater, the Oklahoma A&M College Dairy Barn (now known as Oklahoma State University) is significant for its role in agricultural education in Oklahoma as well as for its architectural style. The dairy barn earned local, state and regional importance both as a template for other dairy programs and a venue for agricultural leaders to meet and discuss the future of dairying within the state. The dairy barn served as a primary facility for more than thirty years, and still stands today as a contribution to the historical and contemporary success of the university's Animal Science Program.

The Fox Hotel at 201 East W. C. Rogers Boulevard in Skiatook, Tulsa County, is significant for its Classical Revival style architecture. As befits the property type, the design adeptly accommodates both retail and hotel use in the single building. The banded storefront, quoining, refined cornice and ornate door surrounds at each hotel entrance evoke elements of Classical Revival design while reflecting the small-town setting of Skiatook.

Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.

The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information visit www.okhistory.org.





Back to the OHS Press Room