Home > about >  Press Release

03/30/15

NEWS RELEASE

Contact: Lynda Ozan
State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society
Office: 405-522-4478
lozan@okhistory.org
www.okhistory.org/shpo

New Oklahoma National Register Listings

Oklahoma City, Okla. — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is pleased to announce five new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation's official list of properties significant in our past.

Ponca City adds two new National Register locations to their ever increasing inventory, the First Church of Christ, Scientist and St. John Baptist Church and Rectory. The First Church of Christ, Scientist is located on North Third Street and was designed in 1933 by architect John Duncan Forsyth. This church is significant for its Colonial Revival architectural style. The St. John Baptist Church and Rectory, located at 1009 South Eleventh Street, is significant for its association with the African American community in Ponca City. Construction of the complex began in 1927 in the Dixie Hill-Attucks neighborhood and served a leading role in the community's development. 

Tulsa County also adds two locations to the National Register of Historic Places, the First National Bank of Skiatook and The Oklahoma Iron Works/Bethlehem Supply Company Building. The First National Bank of Skiatook is located at 123 East W.C. Rogers Boulevard. Within the community of Skiatook it is significant for its role in commerce as well as for its Classical Revival architectural style. The Oklahoma Iron Works/Bethlehem Supply Company Building is located at 118 North Lansing Avenue in Tulsa. This facility played an important role in the industrial development of not just Tulsa, but the surrounding oilfields.

The McAlester Downtown Historic District, in Pittsburg County, is located primarily along East Carl Albert Parkway and Choctaw Avenue. It is significant for its association with historic commercial activities in McAlester. As the core of the central business district, this area has been the center of commercial development in McAlester from shortly after its founding in 1890 to the present. These buildings reflect the commercial growth of the community, growth that was spurred by transportation, the Federal Courts and the State Penitentiary.

Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.

The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.

###

Editor's Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249.





Back to the OHS Press Room