New Oklahoma National Register Listings
Oklahoma City, Okla. — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce twelve new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
Located in the vicinity of Erick, the Vannerson Homestead is significant in the area of Exploration and Settlement as it is one of few reaming early settlement homesteads in Beckham County. Significant for early settlement, the property has two half-dugouts which have the potential to yield information about the early construction methodology in Beckham County. The property also has many other buildings associated with ranching in Oklahoma.
The University of Oklahoma Armory, constructed in 1919, is significant for its association with Education and the Military. The University of Oklahoma initiated its Student Military Regiment, later to become the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC), in 1917. Two years later in 1919, the University constructed the Armory to house the program. The intent was to prepare college-age men and women to lead American soldiers to armed conflict while receiving a higher education. The Armory is the best representation of the role that the ROTC program has played in Education and Military of men and women on the University of Oklahoma campus.
The John and Mary Fuksa Farm, located in Garfield County, is a significant for its association with agriculture and for its architecture. The farm is an excellent local example of the rural farmstead, wholly self-sufficient in its operation. The buildings on the John and Mary Fuksa Farm are reflective of the historic ongoing use of the farm operations.
Funded through a Certified Local Government grant, four nominations were prepared for properties in Enid. The Robert R. and Minnie L. Kisner Mansion, located on Wynona Avenue, is significant for its association with Community Planning and Development for its role in the development of Kisner Heights and for architectural style of Neoclassical Revival. Marshall Hall, located on the Northern Oklahoma College Campus, is significant for its architectural style of Gothic Revival. The Public Library of Enid and Garfield County, located on West Maine Street, was constructed in 1964, and is significant as a locally outstanding example of New Formalism architecture. Finally, the Santa Fe Freight Depot, located on North Washington Avenue, was constructed circa 1924 and is significant for its association with rail related transportation.
Also funded through a Certified Local Government grant, the Lake Ponca Duck Pond Historic District, located in Ponca City, is significant for its association with the work relief and public works programs of the New Deal and its importance as a public recreation area. The park is also significant as an outstanding example of National Park Service Rustic architecture and landscape design as applied to a municipal park. The park has been in continuous use since the CCC construction was completed in 1938.
Constructed in 1939, the Fairview Community Center is significant for its association with the Public Works Administration. Located on East Broadway in Fairview, Major County, this building was designed by John C. Hope, an Oklahoma City architect.
The Foyil Filling Station is located along an original Route 66 alignment in the town of Foyil, Rogers County. The Filling Station is significant for its association with Transportation and Commerce along Route 66 from the time the highway was established in 1926. The station is also significant for its Craftsman architectural design.
The Santa Fe Depot, located in downtown Oklahoma City, was funded through a Certified Local Government grant. The Depot is significant for its association with rail transportation in Oklahoma City. It is also significant as an excellent example of the early 1930s Art Deco style. The building, constructed in 1932, continued to service passengers until 1979 when rail service was terminated.
Tulsa adds a new National Register location to its ever-increasing inventory. The Belmont Apartment building is located on South Denver Avenue West. The building is significant in the area of Community Planning and Development for its association with apartment construction in Tulsa in the 1920s. The Belmont is one of the few surviving examples in the 1920s apartment zoning district and maintains excellent integrity.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.
Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249.