New Oklahoma National Register Listings
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce eight new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
Two schools in southern Oklahoma are included in the newest listings. The Dunbar School in Atoka, Atoka County, served as the historic separate school in the community. Although an earlier separate school operated at Boggy Point in the western section of what would become Atoka County in the late 19th century, it was Dunbar School that served African American students in Atoka County for more than half a century. The facility originally served as both an elementary and secondary school, but in 1958 the school transitioned to serving only the primary grades as secondary students were integrated into the “regular” school system. The Oakland School in Oakland, Marshall County, was the only school that served the community of Oakland until it was consolidated with Madill in 1964. The Classical Revival style school is the only example of the style in Oakland and is significant not only for its architectural style but also for its role in education at the local level.
Located in Carrier, Garfield County, the Carrier Congregational Church is significant in the area for its Colonial Revival style. The church was designed by R. W. Shaw, an Enid architect, in 1928. The church is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style and is the only example of this type in Carrier.
Hotel Dale, located in downtown Guymon, Texas County, is significant for its association with community planning and development in Guymon. The construction of the hotel marked the successful completion of a five-year-long community effort, led by the chamber of commerce, to encourage economic growth in Guymon after World War II. The Hotel Dale was designed by Oklahoma City architect Louis C. Williams.
Finally, Oklahoma County added four new National Register locations to their ever-increasing inventory. The Edmond Ice Company located at 101-109 W. Second St. in Edmond is significant for its association with commercial development in Edmond between 1909 and 1944. Expanding its offerings from exclusively ice, to ice and butter, and then to ice cream and ultimately soda, the complex is a reminder of the evolution of manufactured ice and its wide-ranging impact on development in Edmond. The Electric Transformer House at 2412 N. Olie Ave. in Oklahoma City is significant for its association with community planning and development. Construction of this electric building reflects the growth of the city and how instrumental electricity was to its continued development. Sunshine Cleaners located at 1002 NW First St. in Oklahoma City is significant as an excellent example of the Art Deco style of architecture as applied to an industrial building. Finally, the Tiffany House at 5505 N. Brookline Ave. in Oklahoma City is significant for its role in community planning and development as one of three mid-century high-rise apartment buildings built between 1960 and 1967, a new housing type in Oklahoma City.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 30 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.
Editor’s Note: Photoraphs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249