New Oklahoma National Register Listings
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce four new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
The Henry C. Hatashita House is located in Ponca City, Kay County. Designed by John Duncan Forsyth in 1927, the home was built for Hatashita at the expense of E.W. Marland. The home is significant for its association with Hatashita, who made significant contributions to the landscape of Ponca City. It is also significant as an example of the Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival style in Ponca City.
Manitou Jail, located in Tillman County, was constructed in July 1922. The jail represents the local community’s tangible effort to promote the welfare of society. It is also significant as an excellent example of a locally constructed jail that demonstrates the function and form of a building rather than its style.
Located at the downtown core of Oklahoma City is the Medical Arts Building on Park Avenue. The building is significant for its role in Community Planning and Development. Constructed in 1924–25 to provide a central location for professional medical and associated offices, the building represents the fourth major construction boom in Oklahoma City. It is also significant as an excellent example of a late 19th- and early 20th-century American Movement style building designed by George Forsyth of the acclaimed Oklahoma architectural firm Layton, Hicks and Forsyth.
Finally, the Municipal Auditorium, known locally as the Civic Center Music Hall, located adjacent to Oklahoma City City Hall, is significant for its role in Entertainment and Recreation as well as for its Art Deco styling. The building was constructed in 1936 through the Public Works Administration and designed by esteemed Oklahoma City architect J. O. Parr.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.
Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249.