NEWS RELEASELynda Ozan
Oklahoma Historical Society405-522-4478
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce five new National Register of Historic Places listings. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
Danholt, located in Guymon, Texas County, was constructed in 1911 for Anders L. Mordt, a land promoter. The building is significant for Mordt’s association with settlement in the panhandle region. It is the only building in Guymon Oklahoma associated with Mordt with architectural integrity. Located northeast of the downtown Guymon area it is a vernacular house that made a mark on the community of Guymon when it was opened and served as the identity for the Mordt family.
The Hotel Bell, located at 501-505 Barnes in Alva, Woods County, represents a historical 1920s small-town pattern of planning and erecting community hotels by means of stock sales among local individuals. The Hotel Bell was physically central in Alva and was central to Alva community life from 1927 through 1968. In this context it is significant in the areas of Community Planning and Development.
The McGranahan Portion of the Chisholm Trail Roadbed, located in Canadian County, is a remnant of the historic north-south route between Texas and Kansas across the Indian Territory (today’s Oklahoma). It is significant because it is associated with events that have contributed to the broad patterns of our history. The Chisholm Trail corridor was heavily used in the second half of the nineteenth century by Texas ranchers to deliver their cattle to markets and new railroad shipping facilities in Kansas. Three million head of cattle driven over the Chisholm Trail between 1867 and the mid-1880s spurred the growth of the Midwestern meat-packing and shipping industries, encouraged settlement and ranching development on Great Plains grasslands, and affected the eating habits of the nation. Use was not limited, however, to the cattle herds. The McGranahan Portion, about 1.5 miles east of the route taken by the cattle herds, would have accommodated cattle-drive support vehicles, freighters, travelers, and other traffic that paralleled the cattle trail but kept some distance from the herds.
The Mager Mortgage Company Building, at 231 Northwest 10th St., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, was designed by Sorey Hill and Sorey, Architects, of Oklahoma City, and built in 1959. The building is significant for its mid-twentieth-century Modern architecture. Significant within the architectural context of Midtown Oklahoma City, it is an excellent example of a small commercial building in Modern Movement style.
Finally, located at 315 East Carl Albert Parkway, McAlester, Pittsburg County is the International Temple, Supreme Assembly, Order of the Rainbow for Girls. The building is significant in the area of social history as the world headquarters for the Order of the Rainbow for Girls. It is also significant in the area of architecture as an excellent example of mid-twentieth-century, Moderne architecture in McAlester, Oklahoma and as the international temple for the Order of the Rainbow for Girls.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates, and nominates properties for this special designation.
For detailed information, contact Lynda Ozan at 405-522-4478 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.