History Center Presents 2011 Family Saturdays
Oklahoma City, OK
For Immediate Release
The Oklahoma History Center is offering events targeted to families with children. These new Saturday programs run January through October on the third Saturday of each month from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Families from across the state are invited to explore the unique history of Oklahoma and other historic topics through living history, activities, scavenger hunts, crafts, and more.
The new programs are designed to engage young visitors and let families explore together. Family programming goes hand–in–hand with the museum's mission to collect, preserve, and share Oklahoma history. The goal is to inspire our young patrons, to educate them, and to entertain. Family Saturdays are themed and offer a variety of hands–on activities for all ages.
Upcoming themes include:
- February –Presidents' Day: The staff will help children perform their own living history as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, or Theodore Roosevelt. A special scavenger hunt will help visitors locate artifacts by presidential period.
- March – Cowboy Round–Up: The staff will pull out all the stops setting up an 1870s cowboy camp. Children are encouraged to dress as cowboys and cowgirls and compete in a costume contest. The winner will receive a family membership#33; Activities will include roping, branding, cowboy cooking, coloring, and more.
- April – Pioneer Days: Join us for a glimpse at life circa 1889. Kids are encouraged to dress as pioneers and compete in a costume contest. The winner will receive a family membership!
Activities will include yard games, pioneer tools, and more.
- May – Call to Arms: Once again we will have a variety of military reenactors and living historians representing numerous periods in American History. The WWII Airborne Demonstration team and the Fort Sill Artillery will again join us for this fun–filled day. Admission for the day will be just $10.00 per vehicle.
- June – Cultural Day: Our family Saturday program for June will focuson the cultures that make Oklahoma unique. Individuals from around the world call our state home. Come explore our state's unique heritage through crafts and activities.
- July – Colonial Days: Join us for a patriotic salute to our Colonial Past. Children are encouraged to dress as Colonials and compete in a costume contest. The winner will receive a family membership! Activities include games, lantern making, coloring, and more.
- August – Back to School Days: Join us for a look at classroom activities from a variety of decades. Included are school yard games, penmanship, and more.
- September – Septemberfest – Tentatively scheduled for September 10th: Join us and the Governor's Mansion for a host of special activities for kids and families. The History Center will have demonstrations and living history activities from a variety of time periods, crafts, and more.
- October – Fall Festival: This year we would like to begin a new tradition of having a fall festival filled with activities from days past. Children are encouraged to dress for the day and compete in a costume contest. The winner will receive a free family membership! Activities include pumpkin bowling, bean bag toss, games, and more.
For more information, call 405–522–0765 or go to www.okhistorycenter.org.