New Oklahoma National Register Listing
Oklahoma City, OK
For Immediate Release
The National Register of Historic Places is a catalogue of the buildings, sites, structures, districts, and objects whose hallowed ground and sturdy walls provide a glimpse into our past. These sites also may be selected for architectural and archeological interests. The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce that the following property was added to the National Register as of June 8, 2011.
The Thomas Community Building, located in Thomas, Oklahoma is significant within the economic and architectural context of Works Progress Administration projects. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its association with the work undertaken by the Works Progress Administration using local men who were qualified for work relief under specific guidelines established by the WPA. It is listed for its architectural significance as an excellent example of Works Progress Administration construction reflecting the goals of the building program of the WPA. The work relief provided by the WPA allowed many local people to survive the trying times of the 1930s while also stimulating the local, and therefore state and national, economies. The building is located in the downtown of Thomas, Oklahoma and was built in 1939.
The Dobson Family House, located in Miami, Oklahoma, has been added to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in the areas of industry, politics/government, and social history for its association with the Dobson Family, specifically Wayman W., Solomon M. and Nellie Dobson.
Among other activities that benefited the townspeople of Miami, Oklahoma, the Dobson siblings constructed a building for the Patterson Manufacturing Company in Miami. In addition to causing the construction of the Patterson Manufacturing Company building, Wayman Willis Dobson served as Mayor of Miami during two critical times in Oklahoma history. As the only building still standing in Miami that is directly and unequivocally associated with the Dobson family, the Dobson Family House merits recognition for the significant contributions of this civic-minded, altruistic family to the community of Miami.
Two properties were added to the National Register of Historic Places from the community of Altus. The Elmer and Lela Garnett House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its local significance in the context of early twentieth-century Altus architecture. The house is the best example of a Mission Revival style symmetric subtype in Altus. There are very few Mission Revival houses in Altus and the Elmer and Lela Garnett house and garage are the best example of this architecture. The house is distinctive and an outstanding example of the use of Mission Revival architecture in this community. The second property, the Frazer Cemetery, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for Exploration/Settlement for its association with the early settlers from the town and neighborhood of Frazer in Greer County, Texas (Jackson County, Oklahoma). Residents abandoned Frazer in 1891 after severe flooding swept through the town, moved about two miles east and established a new town,
Altus (named such because it was on higher ground). Frazer settlers and neighbors are buried here, but Frazer families who moved to Altus after Frazer was vacated also continued to bury their dead here until 1950 when the last burial occurred. The cemetery contains the names of Frazer settlement families who contributed significantly to the development of Altus and became leading citizens in the community. The cemetery also documents the settlement period burial traditions of Frazer residents and neighborhood families.
The State Historic Preservation Office continues to strive to gain recognition for those places significant in Oklahoma's history. For more information on these or other National Register properties, contact Lynda Schwan at (405) 522-4478 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).