Douglas City, in Oklahoma County, was a black town developed by black capital and managed by black entrepreneurs. The community had a post office from 1894 until 1900. It was named for Selwyn Douglas, a prominent Oklahoma City, civil leader. When it was designed, the town site was to contain 160 acres and have large blocks, wide streets, and lots 25 feet by 140 feet. A tract of ten acres was reserved for a public school. In 1893, the town had a few businesses, a number of residences, and a church. Later, a school was built. The developers relied on two things to make it a thriving town. The first was a proposed Midlands railroad that was to go through the town. The other was an offer the developers put forth to the state for the Territorial Normal School for Negroes. The railroad was never built and the school was located at Langston.
Iconium, in Logan County, took its name from Iconium, Appanoose County, Iowa, hometown of the town site owner. The name comes from the city of Iconium, now Konya in Asia Minor, mentioned in the book of Acts, and a city visited by Paul. The town was located three miles northeast of Meridian.
Liberty was in Noble County three miles north of Perry. E.P. McCabe, the former auditor of the state of Kansas, developed the town in 1893. A group of ex-Methodist ministers and deacons were sent throughout the South to lure settlers to the town. McCabe also corresponded with the prominent African Americans in the South, who helped organize colonies to locate to the town. In September of 1893 there were two to three hundred settlers were expected from Mississippi by the middle of October. The Santa Fe Railway built a depot on the town site. Despite these efforts to organize the community, the project did not survive. Nicholas Barrett served as Liberty's first postmaster.
In 1900, a colony of about 300 African Americans purchased about 1,000 acres of land near Wellston and divided it into cotton patches. Wellston Colony was located in Lincoln County near the lines of Logan and Oklahoma County. The Oklahoma Guide reported later in 1900 that the first group of 150 African Americans arrived from Grimes County, Texas, to build homes on the land, and other settlers were on the way.