Preparing for Regional and State Contests
What do I need to take to the contests?
What you need to take will vary by category but all groups should dress in an appropriate manner and bring with them extra copies of their process paper and bibliography. Here are some items to bring by category and helpful hints:
- Papers are to be mailed in advance of the contests by the registration deadlines
- Bring one or two extra copies of your research paper
- Websites will lock for judging in advance of the contests
- Make sure you publish your website and bring your ID and Password to each contest
- Bring a laptop to both the regional and state contests
- Make sure your documentary will play on both a computer and a TV
- Bring an extra copy of the documentary
- Bring a laptop for viewing the documentary in case of technical difficulty at the contest
- It is the student's responsibility according to the rule book to provide a way to view the documentary
- Bring extra material to make emergency repairs to costumes and props
- Bring a copy of the script in case of an emergency and an outside reader must fill in
- Bring stage plan
- If students are younger or unable to reach high, bring a small stool to assist with the prop setup
- Materials for repairing exhibit boards in case of accidental damage
- Bring a small tool kit
- Bring an extension cords and power strips if your exhibit requires electricity
- If students are younger or unable to reach high, bring a small stool to assist with the exhibit setup
At the State Contest
- You may pull up to the main entrance to unload. Please unload your items promptly and park. All items should remain on the curb while the vehicle is parked.
- The doors will open for set up at 7:30 AM.
- Judging will begin at 9:30 AM.
- The Awards Assembly will take place each day at 2:30 PM. (Subject to change depending on the number of student registrations)
- A large portion of the galleries will be open to students.
- The Winnie Mae Café will offer a History Day special if you would like to eat onsite. If you would like to bring sack lunches, the museum offers several locations for students to eat outdoors. If you plan on leaving the History Center for lunch please plan on returning to the museum by 2:15 PM for the awards ceremony.
- Don't forget that you will be able to purchase buttons and t-shirts at the state contest. First and second place winners at the state contest will be given a t-shirt to wear at the national contest.