Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Albion

ALBION.

Located in northeastern Pushmataha County, Albion is situated on U.S. Highway 271, about two miles south of the Pushmataha-Latimer county line. The area was originally in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. A post office was established there on December 6, 1887. The St. Louis and San Francisco Railway built a line through the area in 1886–87. During the 1880s the Shine Brothers operated a sawmill. Other early businesses included the Jerome Clayton Lumber Company and the Albion Mercantile. When the town was platted and incorporated in 1906, John T. Bailey named it Albion, which is a Roman/ancient word for England. In that year the Farmers' Union built a cotton gin.

The town served an agricultural region producing cotton and hay as well as cattle, sheep, and turkeys. In 1911 R. L. Polk's Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory estimated Albion's population at three hundred. At that time a bank, a hotel, three general stores, a livery, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, and a confectionery constituted the business district. E. E. Lenhart published the Albion Advocate newspaper. L. A. Reynolds owned the hotel and served as postmaster. Early churches included Methodist, Baptist, and Church of Christ. A 1920 population of 301 dropped to a low of 161 in 1960 and 88 in 1990.

Around 1913 Mato Kosyk (1853–1940), a Lutheran minister who had immigrated to the United States from Werben, Lower Lusatia, East Germany, in 1883, retired to a farm near Albion. A poet, he is considered one of three great Sorbian (a Slavic language) writers. Therefore, Europeans acknowledged his one-hundred-fiftieth birthday in 2003.

At the turn of the twenty-first century Albion, with 143 residents, served as a "bedroom" community. The population dropped to 106 in the 2010 census. Albion's school provided an education from kindergarten through eighth grade. High school students attended Clayton schools. The Albion State Bank (NR 79002024) and the Mato Kosyk House (NR 79002025) were listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Albion," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Dorothy Arnote West, Pushmataha County: The Early Years (N.p.: Dorothy Arnote West, 2002).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Albion," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia