Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Avard

AVARD.

The Woods County town of Avard is located in Township 26 North, Range 15 West, Sections 27 and 35, seven miles south and six miles west of Alva, the county seat. The town is situated on County Roads E0220 and N2370. The Avard post office was established on June 1, 1895, and named for the postmistress, Isabell Avard Todd. The Avard Town Company was incorporated in 1904 when the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, or Frisco, built lines westward from Enid, Oklahoma Territory, to connect with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The town had the customary frontier business establishments, grocery and hardware stores, hotels, restaurants, barber and blacksmith shops, livery stables, saloons, grain elevators, and the Avard Tribune, a weekly newspaper.

The overly optimistic newspaper editor predicted Avard would have a population of thirty-five hundred within a year and that it and St. Louis would be the largest cities on the Frisco route. However, Avard only had 250 residents in 1909. The town served as a shipping center for cattle and agricultural products for a large area. For years the broomcorn warehouse had a thriving business. It was reported that farmers were coming from as far as forty miles away to sell their broomcorn to Avard's Gerlach Mercantile Company. In 1904 the newspaper reported that thirty-two wagonloads of the product, valued at one thousand dollars, had been delivered to Gerlach's warehouse.

Avard prospered as an agricultural center and railroad transfer point from its founding in 1904 to the mid-1930s. In that decade Avard, like many farming towns, declined because of the nation's economic depression, the era's devastating drought and dust storms, the resulting farm consolidation, and the improved national transportation system. The town was further devastated when tornadoes struck different parts of the community in 1943 and 1944. Avard's public school district, Number 140, had been organized on June 29, 1894. The school, a victim of school consolidation, graduated its last class in 1968.

By 1990 Avard's population had dwindled to thirty-seven residents who lived in eleven owner-occupied housing units. The 2000 census recorded a population of 26, and in 2009 it had dwindled to 19. Avard disincorporated in January 2010, and no 2010 census figures were reported. At the beginning of the twenty-first century, Avard had one business establishment, a 300,000-bushel wheat elevator that was a substation of the Alva Farmers' Co-Op Association.

Donovan Reichenberger

See also: CHEROKEE OUTLET OPENING, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Avard (Oklahoma) Tribune, 2 June and 1 December 1904.

Mildred Julian Hager et al., comps., Woods (M) County Oklahoma Schools (N.p., 1997).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Donovan Reichenberger, "Avard," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia