Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Barbour and Brand Company and Settlement

BARBOUR AND BRAND COMPANY AND SETTLEMENT.

A trading enterprise located at the Three Forks of the Arkansas River, the Barbour and Brand Company was established in 1819 by Capt. Henry Barbour and George W. Brand. Little is known about either man. Barbour arrived at the Three Forks from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, via New Orleans, and Brand was a Tennessean and a Cherokee by marriage. They cleared thirty acres of land below the falls of the Verdigris River and constructed ten to twelve buildings. They operated a ferry and obtained trade goods from Fort Smith where their associate, Capt. J. H. Ballard, was stationed. The Barbour and Brand Company site was situated approximately four miles above the confluence of the Verdigris and Arkansas rivers, on the former's east bank near present Okay in Wagoner County.

Barbour and Brand's clientele included the Osage under Chief Claremore. Vying for that trade were Joseph Bogy of Kaskaskia, Illinois, Mark Bean of Tennessee, and Joseph Revoir (Revard), a partner of Auguste P. Chouteau of St. Louis. Thomas Nuttall, who descended the Arkansas River with Barbour in 1820, described him as civil and generous. Barbour died in 1823, about the time Auguste P. Chouteau acquired the Barbour and Brand Company property. Chouteau sold several of the buildings in 1827 to Col. David Brearley, agent to the McIntosh Creeks. Brearley used the structures as his bureau, which was the first Indian agency established within Oklahoma.

Jon D. May

See also: AUGUSTE PIERRE CHOUTEAU, FUR TRAPPERS AND TRADERS, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

Grant Foreman, Pioneer Days in the Early Southwest (Cleveland, Ohio: Arthur H. Clark Co., 1926).

Thomas James, Three Years Among the Indians and Mexicans, ed. with an introduction by Milo Milton Quaife (New York: Citadel Press, 1966).

Wayne Packard Morris, "The Oklahoma Fur Trade, 1796–1845" (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1967).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Barbour and Brand Company and Settlement," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia