Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Boardman Company

BOARDMAN COMPANY.

John R. Boardman (1866–1940) moved to Oklahoma City from Kansas in 1908 and purchased the Wylie Company, which he renamed the Boardman Company in 1910. At first the company was advertised as manufacturing metal tanks, cisterns, grain bins, and galvanized roofing. Within a few years it was heavily involved in structural steel and bridge building. By 1920 Boardman was supplying concrete-making equipment, hoisting engines, and a variety of other products to road building contractors throughout the Midwest and the Southwest. The original plant, located at Maple and Hawk streets in Oklahoma City, was relocated to 1401–1409 Southwest Eleventh Street just prior to Boardman's death on June 3, 1940. At that time the firm was a major supplier of cotton-drying machinery, metal tanks, and a variety of other metal fabricated products in twenty states and in several foreign countries. The company remained under the ownership of the Boardman family and continued to market metal tanks and other metal fabricated products until 1967 when it was sold to the Continental Boiler Works of St. Louis, Missouri. At the beginning of the twenty-first century Boardman Company still operated at 1401–1409 Southwest Eleventh Street in Oklahoma City, and its primary focus was fabricating steel pressure vessels for the petroleum industry.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: MANUFACTURING, OKLAHOMA ECONOMY, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 4 June 1940, 22 September 1940, and 21 September 1941.

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1911–12 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1911).

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1918).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Boardman Company," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia