Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Boggy Depot

BOGGY DEPOT.

An important town in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Boggy Depot (sometimes called Old Boggy Depot) was situated between the Clear Boggy and Sandy creeks, fourteen miles southwest of present Atoka in Atoka County. Founded by Chickasaw Indians in 1837, it stood along the Texas Road and a trail that led from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Fort Washita and was a station on the Butterfield Overland Mail route. Boggy Depot's post office opened in 1849, and the local newspaper was the Choctaw and Chickasaw Observer.

Boggy Depot was the location of the first Chickasaw agency in the West and served sometimes as the capital of the Choctaw Nation from 1858 to 1860. During the Civil War it housed the principal Confederate supply depot in Indian Territory. After the war a flour mill and a cotton gin operated northeast of town, and a salt works was established along nearby Salt Creek.

The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway bypassed Boggy Depot in 1872, prompting businessmen and residents to relocate to Atoka. Others moved two miles south and founded New Boggy Depot (present Boggy Depot). Nothing remains of Old Boggy Depot except its cemetery, where Choctaw chief Allen Wright and Rev. Cyrus Kingsbury are buried. The townsite, presently located in Boggy Depot State Park, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 72001050).

Jon D. May

See also: BUTTERFIELD OVERLAND MAIL, CIVIL WAR ERA, TEXAS ROAD

Bibliography

"Boggy Depot," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1977).

Muriel H. Wright, "Old Boggy Depot," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 5 (March 1927).

Muriel H. Wright and LeRoy H. Fischer, "Civil War Sites in Oklahoma," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 44 (Summer 1966).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Boggy Depot," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia