Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Camp Arbuckle

CAMP ARBUCKLE.

Camp Arbuckle was established in 1850 by Company D of the Fifth Infantry, Capt. Randolph B. Marcy commanding. In spring 1850 Marcy was ordered to build a fortification to protect the California Road. After marching some seventy miles from Fort Washita, he selected a site for the outpost on August 22, 1850. Named in honor of Gen. Matthew Arbuckle, Camp Arbuckle was located just south of the Canadian River, one mile northwest of present Byars in McClain County.

Tents sheltered the soldiers until their barracks was completed in December. Measuring two hundred feet by twenty-five feet, the log building was constructed with a clapboard roof, puncheon floors, and chimneys and had a kitchen. Four separate officers' huts were built. However, having proved unacceptable, the site was abandoned in April 1851. The troops relocated south to near present Hoover, in Garvin County, and constructed Fort Arbuckle along Wild Horse Creek. No ruins of Camp Arbuckle remain.

Delaware Indians under Black Beaver dwelled near Camp Arbuckle and occupied the post after Company D departed. Lt. Amiel Weeks Whipple visited the site, by then known as Beaversville, in August 1853. His party was conducting a transcontinental railroad survey and spent four days there resting and making repairs. Heinrich Balduin Möllhausen, the expedition topographer and artist, drew the only image of the settlement known to exist. The Delaware vacated Beaversville prior to the Civil War.

To avoid confusion, it should be noted that two other Oklahoma military posts were named Camp Arbuckle. In 1832 ranger companies under Capts. Nathan Boone and Lemuel Ford established a Camp Arbuckle on the west bank of the Grand (Neosho) River, some two miles south of Fort Gibson. In 1834 a Camp Arbuckle was built at the confluence of the Arkansas and Cimarron rivers. Sometimes called Fort Arbuckle, it served as a forward base for the Dodge-Leavenworth Expedition. Located west of present Sand Springs, the site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 78002269).

Jon D. May

See also: NATHAN BOONE, CALIFORNIA ROAD, RANDOLPH BARNES MARCY, WESTWARD EXPANSION, WHIPPLE EXPEDITION

Bibliography

William Brown Morrison, "Fort Arbuckle," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 6 (March 1928).

William Brown Morrison, Military Posts and Camps in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City: Harlow Publishing, 1936).

George H. Shirk, "The Site of Old Camp Arbuckle," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 27 (Autumn 1949).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Camp Arbuckle," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia