Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Camp Wichita

CAMP WICHITA.

Camp Wichita, the post was intended to serve as headquarters for the Kiowa-Comanche Reservation created under the provisions of the Medicine Lodge Treaty of 1867. The military post was established by Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan during the winter of 1868–69 at the junction of Medicine Bluff and Cache creeks, about seven miles south of Mount Scott in the Wichita Mountains, near present Lawton, Oklahoma. Colonels Benjamin H. Grierson and William B. Hazen recommended the site. Four companies of the Tenth Cavalry and two companies of the Sixth Infantry under the command of Colonel Grierson erected temporary log quarters until work could commence on permanent limestone structures. On August 1, 1869, the name of the post was changed to Fort Sill, in honor of Brig. Gen. Joshua W. Sill, killed on December 31, 1862, at the battle of Stones River, Tennessee.

Bruce J. Dinges

See also: MILITARY–NINETEENTH CENTURY, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

De B. Randolph Keim, Sheridan's Troopers on the Borders: A Winter Campaign on the Plains (1885; reprint, Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1985).

Wilbur S. Nye, Carbine and Lance: The Story of Old Fort Sill (3d ed., rev.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1969).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bruce J. Dinges, "Camp Wichita," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia