Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Castle

CASTLE.

Located in Okfuskee County, Castle is situated on U.S. Highway 62, six miles northwest of Okemah, the county seat. Named for the first postmaster, Manford B. Castle, a post office was established on February 25, 1903. Located along the Fort Smith and Western Railway, the town supported several cotton gins, gristmills, and the Castle State Bank by 1911. John Bakhaus, John McKernon, and Oscar Larimore built the first church in 1908. That same year the Castle News, edited by S. H. Austin and J. Y. Bryce, served the African American population. The first federal census reported for Castle indicated a population of 294 in 1910. Population peaked at 381 in 1920.

The surrounding area was suitable for ranching and general farming. Among the ranchers were John McKernon and Jerry Mosely, and the Ward-Strauss ranch also operated. The primary cash crops were cotton and sweet potatoes. With a population of 283 in 1930 the area continued to support five cotton gins and one gristmill. By the 1940s oil wells were drilled in the East Castle pool. The population continued to decline to 242 and 144 in 1940 and 1950, respectively. It stayed stable at 149 in 1960 but rebounded to 212 in 1970. Castle had 130 inhabitants in 1980 and reached a low of 94 in 1990. At the turn of the twenty-first century Castle was a "bedroom" community of 122 residents. It had declined to 106 in 2010.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Castle," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Castle," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia