Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Depew

DEPEW.

Located in west-central Creek County, Depew is situated on Historic Route 66, approximately twenty-nine miles southwest of the county seat, Sapulpa. The area around Depew was originally within the Creek Nation, Indian Territory. A settlement known as Hall developed near future Depew when the St. Louis and Oklahoma City Railroad (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway) built a line between Sapulpa and Oklahoma City in 1898. In 1901 Walter F. Malley founded the town, and a post office known as Depew, in honor of U.S. Sen. Chauncey M. Depew of New York, was established on April 12, 1901. Beginning on June 5, 1905, the Depew Investment Company platted a town and sold lots. During 1905 and 1906 children received an education at a subscription school taught by Florance Atwell. In 1909 a school building was erected.

Before oil was discovered nearby in 1911, Depew served as an agricultural support center. With an estimated population of 150 in 1909, the townspeople used the First State Bank and read the Depew Independent newspaper. Farmers patronized a cotton gin, a hardware store, two blacksmith shops, and three general stores. By 1915 the oil field near Depew had developed, and the Sapulpa and Oil Fields Railroad constructed a line from Depew to Shamrock, another oil-boom town. By the 1930s several grain mills, three gasoline plants, and four cotton gins operated. In 1950 the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company built a large underground storage plant south of Depew.

The first federal census reported a peak population of 1,126 for Depew in 1930. In the next three decades the town declined from 876 in 1940 to 686 in 1960. Numbers increased slightly to 739 in 1970 but dropped to 682 and 502 in 1980 and 1990, respectively. At the turn of the twenty-first century Depew, with 564 residents, had two elementary schools and a high school. Ninety-three percent of employed residents commuted to jobs in Bristow and Sapulpa. The U.S. Census counted 476 there in 2010. Painter and sculptor Wayne Cooper was born in Depew.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Depew," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Depew," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia