Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fanshawe

FANSHAWE.

Located in far west-central Le Flore County, Fanshawe is approximately twenty miles southwest of Poteau on U.S. Highway 270. The Le Flore/Latimer County line lies one mile west. Although it was surveyed and platted on August 29, 1902, the community received its postal designation in 1891. The town's name honored John R. Fanshawe of Philadelphia, an employee of the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad, which built through the area in 1889–90. Railroad executives and investors took an inspection trip on the new line, traveling in one of the presidential private cars. At each allocated station a name was drawn from a hat and used to designate a new town. The railroad later became part of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway's system.

The town's early economic development relied on lumbering, coal mining, lumber milling, farming, stock raising, and working on the railroad and roads. In 1911 approximately one hundred residents supported two grocers and two general stores and enjoyed telephone connections. The estimated population in 1918 was 135, and two saw mills and one sorghum mill operated there. In 1929 a fire destroyed most of the business district. By mid-twentieth century pulpwood harvesting had become a major industry, attracting a large pulpwood yard with a spur track. Many individuals who owned trucks used them to haul pulpwood out of the hills to be sold and shipped to a pulpwood dealer.

After World War II Fanshawe's estimated one hundred residents and farmers in the surrounding area still supported three stores. In 1949, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed Wister Dam on Fourche Maline Creek, south of town, the resulting lake inundated much fertile bottomland and forced farmers to relocate or go out of business. However, ranching (mostly cattle raising) remained an important occupation into the twenty-first century. Beginning in the 1950s ranchers created extra revenue by constructing large chicken houses and raising broiler chickens.

After Fanshawe annexed approximately a twenty-two-square-mile rural area on June 7, 1963, the population grew to 199 in 1970 and to 416 in 1980. While logging remained a significant industry, some local businesses have come to depend on hauling and selling rock for landscaping and masonry. For many years the public school has been the largest employer, and its 2000 enrollment was eighty-seven students in kindergarten through the eighth grade. The 2000 population stood at 384 and in 2010 at 419. Residents also commuted to jobs in larger towns.

Greg McGowen

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Henry L. Peck, The Proud Heritage of LeFlore County: A History of an Oklahoma County (Van Buren, Ark.: Press Argus, 1963).

J. R. Rash, "The Story of Fanshawe," Poteau Valley (Oklahoma) Times, 24 June 1965.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Greg McGowen, "Fanshawe," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia