Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fort Cobb (fort)

FORT COBB.

In 1859 Superintendent of Indian Affairs for Indian Territory Elias Rector founded a new agency in southwest Oklahoma. Called the Wichita Agency, the office was located near Pond Creek (later Cobb Creek) near present Anadarko in Caddo County. On October 1, 1859, Maj. William H. Emory of the First Cavalry, commander at Forts Washita and Arbuckle, established Fort Cobb nearby. The post's primary purpose was to protect the local Wichita Indians and several Texas tribes, recently removed from their Brazos River reservations, from raids by the Comanche, Kiowa, and Cheyenne.

Situated on the west side of the creek at its juncture with the Washita River about three miles west of the agency, the fort was named to honor Secretary of the Treasury Howell Cobb. The site was strategically located on good roads to Fort Arbuckle in Indian Territory and Fort Belknap in Texas. For the next two years Emory assigned four companies there to pacify the area.

Events hastened with the threat of civil war. Realizing his command would be isolated if Arkansas and Texas seceded, Emory evacuated his troops north to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Texas Confederates immediately seized Fort Cobb, but they soon left, and the fort remained vacant for most of the war.

Fort Cobb was reoccupied by U.S. Army troops in 1868. Only the walls of one stone building and a few broken adobe structures survived; these were thatched over and used for storage. Most of the troops lived in dugouts covered by tents. That winter, soldiers commanded by Gen. Philip H. Sheridan arrived there as part of his campaign to force remaining hostile tribes onto reservations. In early 1869 Fort Sill was established, and Fort Cobb was no longer needed. It was abandoned on March 12, 1869. Today only a few trenches mark this military site.

L. David Norris

See also: CIVIL WAR ERA, MILITARY–NINETEENTH CENTURY, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

Richard T. Jacob, "Military Reminiscences of Captain Richard T. Jacob," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 2 (March 1924).

William Brown Morrison, Military Posts and Camps in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, Okla.: Harlow Publishing Corporation, 1936).

L. David Norris, James C. Milligan, and Odie B. Faulk, William H. Emory: Soldier-Scientist (Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1998).

Muriel H. Wright, "A History of Fort Cobb," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 34 (Spring 1956).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
L. David Norris, "Fort Cobb (fort)," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia