Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fort Supply (town)

FORT SUPPLY.

The town of Fort Supply is located in the northwestern corner of Woodward County, thirteen miles northwest of the county seat of Woodward. The first post office was established on May 12, 1903. On May 1, 1943, the name of the post office and town was changed to Fort Supply. Founder James P. Gandy, a territorial legislator, originally named the town Supply after the frontier military post (1868–94) located one mile east of the townsite. Rancher H. H. Halsell sold the land to Gandy, who had it platted for a townsite in 1903. Most of the original buildings of Supply were moved from the failed town site of Fitzgerald, which had been established two miles southwest in 1902.

In the early years Supply was the economic center for area farmers and ranchers. In 1908 the old army post east of the town became Western Oklahoma Hospital, Oklahoma's first state-operated mental institution. The Flood Control Act of 1936 provided that a dam and reservoir be constructed one mile southeast of the town in the valley of Wolf Creek. Work began in October 1938 and was completed in May 1942. At that time it was the largest earthen dam in the United States. Fort Supply Lake and the adjacent wildlife and recreation area are administered by the U.S. Corps of Engineers.

Fort Supply's population at 1907 statehood numbered 783; it had declined to 230 by 1930. The number of inhabitants fluctuated from 414 in 1940 to 293 in 1950 to 394 in 1960. By 1980 the number had rebounded to 559 and in the year 2000 stood at 328. At the end of the twentieth century, the community's economic base remained grounded in agriculture and employment at the Western State Psychiatric Center and William S. Key Correctional Center, located on the grounds of nearby historic Fort Supply. The 2010 census counted 330 residents there.

Bob Rea

See also: MILITARY–NINETEENTH CENTURY, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Robert Barron, "Building Fort Supply Dam was Economic Boost in the '30s," Woodward (Oklahoma) News, 18 June 1989.

Louise B. James, Below Devil's Gap: The Story of Woodward County (Perkins, Okla.: Evans Publications, 1984).

C. L. Packer, "Mr. Fort Supply," Tulsa (Oklahoma) World, 28 May 1967.

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman, University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bob Rea, "Fort Supply (town)," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia