Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Gould

GOULD.

Located in Harmon County (formerly Old Greer County) at the intersection of U.S. Highway 62 and State Highway 5 and originally known as Gibson, Gould was named for postmaster John A. Gould. A post office was opened February 8, 1909. In 1910 the Altus, Wichita Falls and Hollis Railway (later the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad) was built through Gould. The First State Bank of Gould opened March 23, 1910, in a grocery store on the property east of the present bank, later called the Stockman's Bank.

Gould was incorporated on March 16, 1917, and was a thriving agricultural trade center. Early-day businesses included four cotton gins, two lumberyards, a twenty-one-room hotel, two grain elevators, a hatchery, a livery stable, a wagonyard, a tin shop, and a broom factory. Gould had four newspapers: the Democrat, the Record, the Harmon County News, and the New County Hub. Early churches included the Baptist, Methodist, and Christian, with the Church of Christ established in the 1940s and the Church of the Nazarene in 1953. The Gould School (1909–90) was home to the blue-and-gold Coyotes, a marching band, and many successful baseball, basketball, and football teams. Women's clubs included the Altrusa, the Self Culture, and the LaHoma Home Demonstration Club.

With 228 residents in 1920, Gould peaked at 391 in 1940. The population stood at 241 in 1960 and at 318 in 1980. At the turn of the twenty-first century the community 206 inhabitants, and its economy was based on farming and ranching, with cotton, wheat, alfalfa, sudan grass, and maize being raised. The 2010 census recorded 441 inhabitants. The American Legion Building (1937–38) housed the Harris Cannady Chapter Number 327, and the Gibson Masonic Lodge Number 402 had joined the Hollis Lodge Number 219.

Maurice Searcey and Gloria Mefford

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"History of Gould," Prairie Lore 7 (July 1970).

Planning the Route (Hollis, Okla.: Harmon County Historical Association, 1980).

Planning Route 2: Harmon County Book II (Altus, Okla.: Altus Printing Co., 1987).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Maurice Searcey and Gloria Mefford, "Gould," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia