Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Griffin Food Company

GRIFFIN FOOD COMPANY.

Family owned and operated since its inception, the Muskogee-based Griffin Food Company, a manufacturer and wholesaler of syrups, baking products, jelly, preserves, mustard, peanut butter, and other comestibles, was founded by brothers John T. and Charles M. Griffin in 1908. Following John Griffin's graduation from business college in 1902, the siblings left their hometown of Houston, Mississippi, and moved west to become grocers.

The Griffins' first store was unsuccessful. It opened and closed in 1902 at Durant in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory (present Oklahoma). For the next six years they worked for a Durant wholesale grocery company. When that company expanded, John Griffin was transferred to McAlester in 1904. There he and Charles organized the Griffin Grocery Company in 1908. They sold only fruits and vegetables before adding a complete line of grocery items. The Griffin Grocery Company was incorporated under Oklahoma law in 1911.

Following Charles Griffin's death in 1915, John Griffin began manufacturing products, beginning with coffee, in 1917. In 1923 he built a three-story building to house administrative operations, a warehouse, and a processing plant in Muskogee, a town centrally located to his operations at numerous facilities in Oklahoma and Arkansas. The company's top-selling product, Griffin's Waffle Syrup, debuted in 1930.

By 2000 Griffin Food Company employed approximately one hundred individuals, served a fifteen-state area, and had annual sales of several million dollars. Expansion and remodeling of the company's Muskogee offices and warehouse were completed in 2002. At that time John W. Griffin, grandson of cofounder John T. Griffin, served as president.

Jon D. May

See also: MANUFACTURING, OKLAHOMA ECONOMY

Bibliography

Odie B. Faulk and Kenny A. Franks, Quality and Spirit: The Griffin Heritage in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1991).

Paul F. Lambert et al., Historic Oklahoma: An Illustrated History (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 2000).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Griffin Food Company," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia