Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Hanna

HANNA.

Located in southwestern McIntosh County, the town of Hanna is eighteen miles southwest of Eufaula, the county seat, on State Highway 52 and two miles east of the Indian Nation Turnpike. As the community developed in the Creek Nation, early buildings were in place in 1895. In 1902 the U.S. Post Office Department established a post office that used the town's original name, Hasson. In 1904 the postal designation was changed to Hanna to honor Hanna Bullet, the daughter of an early prominent resident. With 1907 statehood Hanna was placed in Hughes County, but the residents petitioned to transfer to McIntosh County, claiming that it was too far from Holdenville, the Hughes County seat. In November 1914 a majority of the Hanna Township transferred to McIntosh County.

The rich farmland just north of the South Canadian River attracted Hanna's first residents. Cotton reigned as the most abundant crop, and at one time five cotton gins operated at full capacity. In 1903 construction of the Fort Smith and Western Railroad reached Hanna on its expansion from Fort Smith to Guthrie. A busy depot served the residents. The railroad company remained solvent in one form or another from 1899 until 1939, after which it began to dismantle. The railroad bridge between Hanna and Indianola once served as a toll bridge. Hanna entrepreneurs erected the hotel in twenty-four hours. Hanna's most populous years were from 1910 to 1920, and the community had multiples of retail merchants, doctors and lawyers, banks, newspapers, and cotton gins. The 1920 population stood at 460 but declined by one hundred in that decade. In 1931 some referred to the town as Oklahoma's unofficial onion capital because onion farming became important to the community.

In 1940 the population was 344, declining to 233 by 1960. Farming slowly gave way to ranching. Since the 1920s the town has continued to support a high school. At the beginning of the twenty-first century the population had fallen to 133 residents, and the 2010 census reported 138. Hanna continued as an incorporated community, with police and fire departments and a community center/city hall.

Jerry Baker

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Mary Isabel Elliston, "A History of Hughes County" (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1943).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

C. W. "Dub" West, ed., McIntosh County Memories: People, Places, and Events (N.p.: McIntosh County Historical Society, 1993).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jerry Baker, "Hanna," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia