Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Hewitt Field

HEWITT FIELD.

The Hewitt Field developed during the early 1920s. Its discovery came just in time to bolster Oklahoma oil production, which was about to fall behind other states in total output. The discovery well for the field was completed on June 5, 1919, in Carter County in southern Oklahoma about fifteen miles west of Ardmore and only four miles east of the prolific Healdton Field. The well, the Texas Company's Number One A. E. Denny, was completed in an oil sand at a depth of 2,084 feet for an initial flow of 410 barrels per day. A period of rapid development caused the field to reach its peak annual production of more than thirteen million barrels from 605 wells in 1921. By 1927 the field had expanded to an area covering 3,050 acres, in which slightly more than eight hundred wells had produced more than sixty million barrels of oil, a rate averaging 19,786 barrels per acre. This was a respectable record but not nearly as impressive as that of the neighboring Healdton Field.

In the Hewitt Field most petroleum comes from a number of producing horizons at depths ranging from twenty-one hundred to thirty-one hundred feet. The primary structure, consisting of two large anticlinal domes connected by a saddle, was first identified as a possible source by William J. Millard in October 1916. The Hewitt claims the distinction of being the second-largest field in southern Oklahoma. Carter Oil Company's Number Thirty-three Noble began to flow in May 1924 at 12,800 barrels per day, one of the largest initial flows ever recorded in the state.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: PETROLEUM INDUSTRY

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Oklahoma Petroleum Industry (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980).

Bess Mills-Bullard, "Digest of Oklahoma Oil and Gas Fields," in Oil and Gas in Oklahoma, Oklahoma Geological Survey Bulletin 40, Vol. 1 (Norman: Oklahoma Geological Survey, 1928).

Carl Coke Rister, Oil! Titan of the Southwest (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1949).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Hewitt Field," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia