Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Hinderliter Tool Company

HINDERLITER TOOL COMPANY.

Frank J. Hinderliter established the Hinderliter Tool Company at Tulsa, Oklahoma, on May 15, 1919, for the purpose of manufacturing oil-field well-drilling products. Utilizing an 1879 patent on oil-rig elevators taken out by his father, Isaac N. Hinderliter, as well as patents he had developed himself, Frank Hinderliter started a firm that eventually held ninety-eight oil-field equipment patents. His enterprise grew rapidly and soon acquired an enviable reputation for quality products due to the specialized heat-treating process employed in their manufacture.

With the outbreak of World War II the Hinderliter Tool Company received several government contracts to produce gun barrels for the military, which further increased the company's reputation for quality manufacturing. In 1946 the H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, bought the controlling interest in the company. The following year Don R. Hinderliter, Frank Hinderliter's son, formed the Don R. Hinderliter Company. He continued the same product line and concentrated on metal heat treating on a commercial basis while developing a revolutionary method of making sheaves for oil derricks.

In 1962 Richard R. Hughes acquired a controlling interest in the Hinderliter Tool Company, and by 1977 he began adding a number of energy-related companies under the auspices of Hinderliter Management Systems. By 1988, with the downturn in the energy business, that company divested all fifteen of its energy-related businesses, including Hinderliter Tool, and in 1990 moved its headquarters from Tulsa to Dallas, Texas.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: GEORGE E. FAILING, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY, SEISMOGRAPH, SUBMERGIBLE PUMP, JOHN SMITH ZINK

Bibliography

"Hinderliter Industries, Inc.," Vertical File, Tulsa City-County Public Library, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Tulsa (Oklahoma) Daily Business Journal and Legal Record, 2 December 1988.

Tulsa (Oklahoma) Tribune, 11 July 1990.

Tulsa (Oklahoma) World, 26 August 1945, 1 November 1955, and 12 July 1990.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Hinderliter Tool Company," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia