Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Katie

KATIE.

The town of Katie is situated in south-central Garvin County, six miles southeast of Elmore City and approximately thirteen miles southwest of Pauls Valley (the county seat). The area was originally within the Chickasaw Nation. Katie post office was established on March 13, 1895. The derivation of the name Katie has multiple explanations. In one, it is said to represent the name of a daughter of G. T. Griffiths, the first postmaster. A more plausible story is that the town was named for a local settler's daughter, Catherine (Katie) Millwee, whose grandparent, John H. Hargrove, may have had the post office named for her. In the early 1900s a rural community grew up around the corners of Sections 6 and 7 of Township 1 North, Range 2 West and in Sections 1 and 12 of Township 1 North, Range 3 West. State gazetteers for the early twentieth century describe Katie with a population of around 40. They patronized two general stores, a Baptist church, and a school by 1909. By 1918, however, the population of approximately 50 supported five general stores, a barbershop, a blacksmith shop, and a livestock breeder-dealer, and a gristmill provided important services for the surrounding farms. A Church of Christ was established in 1924. The WPA erected a school building at Katie in 1939.

Katie incorporated as a town on July 27, 2004. Its incorporated area encompasses approximately 19.5 square miles. The U.S. Census of 2010 found that Katie had 348 inhabitants. In 2010 the dispersed population supports two Baptist churches, the 1939 WPA schoolhouse, which serves as a community center, and a volunteer fire department building. Katie is located on County Roads North-South 317 and East-West 168, and State Highway 74, three miles east, also provides transportation access.

Dianna Everett

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Pauls Valley Chamber of Commerce, From Bluestem to Golden Trend: A Pictorial History of Garvin County (Fort Worth, Tex.: University Supply and Equipment Co., 1980).

R. L. Polk & Company, Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk & Company, 1909–1918).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Katie," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia