Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Kendrick

KENDRICK.

Located in northeastern Lincoln County, Kendrick is situated between County Roads E0850/N3490 and E0850/N3500, approximately two miles north of Interstate Highway 44 and eight miles due northeast of Chandler, the county seat. Uriah C. Guss and William H. Coyle, Guthrie business leaders, negotiated the purchase of land for the townsite. A plat was filed in the Chandler courthouse on November 12, 1902, and town lots were sold beginning two days later. Free lots were offered to business owners in Parkland, located northwest of Kendrick. A post office established on October 13, 1902, was originally called Avondale but was renamed Kendrick in honor of a railroad executive on January 21, 1903. Joseph C. Pringey served as the first postmaster. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway provided passenger and freight service to Kendrick by late 1903. That same year a cotton gin was moved from Parkland to Kendrick. A bank was one of the first buildings erected on the townsite, and a school was built in 1905. Early-day newspapers included the Kendrick Dispatch, the Kendrick Review, and the Kendrick News.

A Baptist church was erected circa 1911–12. By 1918 Kendrick also had Methodist and Christian churches. The town supported a general store, a hardware store, and a hotel. The first federal census for Kendrick indicated a population of 255 in 1920. The population peaked at 270 in 1930 and declined to a low of 126 in 1970. Kendrick had 256 inhabitants in 1940, 172 in 1950, 155 in 1960, 132 in 1980, and 171 in 1990. The post office closed in 1983. The school closed the following year, and students were bused to Stroud. At the turn of the twenty-first century Kendrick, with a population of 138, served as a "bedroom" community. The 2010 census counted 139 residents.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Kendrick," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Lincoln County, Oklahoma History (Chandler, Okla.: Lincoln Country Historical Society, 1988).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Kendrick," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia