Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Macklanburg-Duncan Company

MACKLANBURG-DUNCAN COMPANY.

The Macklanburg-Duncan Company got its start in manufacturing and marketing in 1920 when Louis August Macklanburg (1888–1965) began building a new home. Frustrated with existing weather stripping products available for use in the house, the recently discharged World War I veteran developed a springy, tempered brass material for sealing his doors and windows. In association with his first partner and lone salesperson, H. M. Duncan, Macklanburg began to manufacture and to market the invention under the name Numetal, and in 1920 it became the primary product for the home products company that he started at 211 West First Street in Oklahoma City.

The company soon added a variety of items to its line, and Macklanburg's father, Rudolph, along with his sister, Alma, and his three brothers, Adolph, Gustave, and Robert, joined the operation. Aggressive marketing increased business. By 1930 operating from a new headquarters at 123 West Twenty-third Street, the company had one hundred employees and an international market. In 1950 continued growth prompted the company to move once again, this time to 4041 North Santa Fe Avenue. Upon Louis Macklanburg's death on May 31, 1965, the company employed 550, and its plant covered four hundred thousand square feet.

Macklanburg-Duncan remained under the sole ownership of the Macklanburg family as it developed a worldwide marketing presence with company divisions of weatherproofing materials, adhesives and coatings, tools, floor and carpet trim, metal moldings, and builder's hardware. In 2000 the General Electric Corporation bought Macklanburg-Duncan, absorbed the adhesives and coatings division, and reorganized the rest of the company under the name M-D Building Products.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: MANUFACTURING, OKLAHOMA ECONOMY

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 1 June 1965 and 20 September 1970.

"Macklanburg-Duncan," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Susan Wallace and Tamara J. Hermen, Oklahoma City: A Better Living, A Better Life (Montgomery, Ala.: Community Communications, 1997).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Macklanburg-Duncan Company," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 21, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia