Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Maramec

MARAMEC.

Located in southern Pawnee County, the incorporated town of Maramec is situated at the junction of County Roads E0530/N3550, one mile north of U.S. Highway 412 (Cimarron Turnpike). After the Cherokee Outlet Opening on September 16, 1893, a post office was designated on January 22, 1894. Originally known as Crystal for the nearby Crystal Spring, the town was renamed on April 8, 1903, for the Civil War ship USS Merrimack and moved one mile north so that it could be along the railroad. Between 1900 and 1904 the Eastern Oklahoma Railway (later the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, AT&SF) built a line from Newkirk passing through Maramec to Pauls Valley. The railroad's need for water created the development of Maramec Lake in 1903. The rail company constructed a water tower, a coal chute, a stockyard, and a depot at Maramec.

In 1909 the community had approximately 350 inhabitants. They supported a bank, a weekly newspaper, a cotton gin, a livery, and a blacksmith. Settlers had organized Baptist and United Brethren churches. Three hotels offered respite to travelers. Local farmers raised corn, cotton, and livestock. Discovery of oil in 1920 gave the town a brief economic boost. In the early 1930s a cotton gin and an oil company continued in operation. By the mid-1940s a grocery store, a general store, a flour and feed store, and several garages and a gasoline station served the community. In the 1940s the AT&SF stopped passenger service to Maramec. By 1955 the town had two grocers, a feed store, and a garage/gasoline station. The high school closed in 1958.

At 1907 statehood Maramec's population stood at 272. The 1910 and 1920 censuses reported 224 and 287, respectively. Population peaked at 376 in 1930. Through the next five decades the numbers gradually declined from 271 in 1940 to a low of 101 in 1980. The town had 110 residents in 1990, 104 at the turn of the twenty-first century, and 91 in 2010. Employed citizens commuted to work in Pawnee, Stillwater, and Tulsa.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks and Paul F. Lambert, Pawnee Pride: A History of Pawnee County (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1994).

"Maramec," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Maramec," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia