Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Meeker

MEEKER.

Located in Lincoln County, Meeker is situated at the intersection of State Highway 18 and U.S. Highway 62, approximately fourteen miles south of Chandler, the county seat. A nearby town, Clifton, had come into existence with the opening of Sac and Fox and Iowa lands for settlement on September 22, 1891. However, when the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway built a branch from Shawnee to Arkansas City, it bypassed Clifton and ran through the site of present Meeker, about two miles distant. Eventually Clifton residents moved to Meeker. In 1902–03 Walter and Rebecca Fowler and Julian L. and Lettitia Meeker deeded land to M. G. McKee, who had the town platted. The official plat was filed March 14, 1903. The residents selected the name of Meeker on May 29, 1903, because a town named Fowler already existed on the rail line. At 1907 statehood the population stood at 320, and it rose to 562 by 1930. It hovered between five hundred and seven hundred through the 1960s.

In the 1930s funding provided by the Works Progress Administration built the Fairview School (NR 97001149), the Spring Dell School (NR 96000376), and the Warwick School (NR 96000377). Meeker's primary economic base has always been agriculture. However, farming declined as large industrial plants were built nearby, better highways were constructed, and more people moved into town. Population peaked at 1,032 in 1980. Newspapers serving the citizens have included the Herald and the News. At the turn of the twenty-first century Meeker, with 978 residents, served as a "bedroom" community for individuals employed in Shawnee and Oklahoma City. The 2010 population was 1,144. Meeker has been home to baseball players Carl Hubbell, Jay Hubbell, John Hubbell, Ray Honeycutt, William T. Winford, and Jim Winford. The Meeker Town Hall (NR 96000374) housed the Carl Hubbell Museum.

Frankie Fair Burchette

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Lincoln County, Oklahoma History (Chandler, Okla.: Lincoln County Historical Society, 1988).

"Meeker," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Frankie Fair Burchette, "Meeker," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia