Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  North Fork Town

NORTH FORK TOWN.

An important settlement in the Creek Nation, Indian Territory, North Fork Town was located approximately three miles east of present Eufaula in McIntosh County. Situated within the fork of the Canadian and North Canadian rivers, the townsite is now inundated by Lake Eufaula. Because the Texas and California roads intersected there, the community prospered as a trade center.

Founded by Creek Indians during the mid-1830s, North Fork Town hosted numerous intertribal councils. During the Gold Rush of 1849 it served as a rendezvous for travelers headed west along the California Road. Forty-niners purchased supplies, horses, and mules from local merchants. Asbury Mission, a Methodist boarding school, opened northeast of town in 1850, and a community post office was established in 1853. The latter was designated Micco, another name by which North Fork Town was subsequently known. Albert Pike, Confederate commissioner to Indian Territory, negotiated alliance treaties with the Creek, Choctaw, and Chickasaw at North Fork Town in July 1861. The settlement served as a Confederate supply base during the Civil War.

The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway bypassed North Fork Town in 1872. A depot was built at present Eufaula, and North Fork Town businesses were relocated there. The Micco post office closed in 1873. Homes and a cemetery marked the townsite before Lake Eufaula's impoundment.

Jon D. May

See also: CALIFORNIA ROAD, CIVIL WAR ERA, TRANSPORTATION

Bibliography

Angie Debo, The Road to Disappearance: A History of the Creek Indians (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1941).

Carolyn Thomas Foreman, "North Fork Town," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 29 (Spring 1951).

Grant Foreman, Down the Texas Road: Historic Places Along Highway 69 Through Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936).

John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1977).

"North Fork Town," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "North Fork Town," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia