Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College

NORTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA A&M COLLEGE.

Northeastern Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College had its beginning in 1919 when Gov. James B. A. Robertson signed Senate Bill Number 225 creating the Miami School of Mines. The institution's creation was indicative of the importance of mining in the Tri-State Lead and Zinc District, which comprised extreme northeastern Oklahoma, southwestern Missouri, and southeastern Kansas.

After holding classes for a year in the Mining and Exchange Building in Miami, the school moved to its current location on forty acres of land donated by interested Miami citizens. During this time a special Board of Regents governed the Miami School of Mines and organized it so that it offered college courses primarily of a scientific nature. The designation as Miami School of Mines continued until 1924 when a special legislative session changed the name to Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College and general collegiate courses were added to the curriculum.

The special board continued to govern the college until 1939 when Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College and the six teachers' colleges were placed under the Board of Regents for Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges. Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College purchased two hundred acres of farmland and constructed shop buildings to accommodate agricultural and mechanical courses. In 1943 the school changed its name to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (NEO A&M).

At the turn of the twenty-first century with an enrollment of twenty-nine hundred, NEO A&M offered associate degrees in arts, science, and applied science, as well as one- and two-year certificate programs.

Jeff Birdsong

See also: AGRICULTURAL AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE, JUNIOR COLLEGE MOVEMENT

Bibliography

Frank A. Balyeat, "Junior Colleges in Oklahoma," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 26 (Spring 1948).

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 19 March 1924.

"Education, Higher, Oklahoma—Miami," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Miami Centennial Committee, Reflections: Miami, Oklahoma, 1891–1991 (Miami, Okla.: Miami Chamber of Commerce, 1991).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jeff Birdsong, "Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia