Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Oil Springs

OIL SPRINGS.

Long before the arrival of the Five Civilized Tribes, Plains Indians were attracted to Oklahoma's oil springs and seeps, because crude petroleum outcropped into bodies of water or upon land. The oily liquids and deposits were collected and used as lubricants and cure-alls. Reports of "medicine springs" by Chickasaw agents during the 1840s and 1850s attracted Texans, Arkansans, and others seeking to relieve rheumatism and other ailments. The springs also focused outside attention upon Oklahoma's potential as an oil-producing region. Such interest led to the formation of the Chickasaw Oil Company in 1872.

Members of the Five Civilized Tribes established commercial spas to accommodate those who wished to soak in the oil springs' supposed healing waters. A popular Cherokee Nation resort was New Spring Place near Oaks in present Delaware County. Maytubby Springs and Boyd Springs were two of the many Chickasaw Nation sites. Maytubby Springs, located in present Atoka County northwest of Caddo, included a hotel that was built circa 1889. Boyd Springs was a favorite camping place along Oil Creek in Johnston County. There natural gas was tapped by simply driving a tube into the ground. The escaping gas was ignited to provide illumination and warmth.

Jon D. May

See also: NATURAL GAS, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Oklahoma Petroleum Industry (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980).

Carl Coke Rister, Oil! Titan of the Southwest (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1949).

Muriel H. Wright, "First Oklahoma Oil Was Produced in 1859," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 4 (December 1926).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Oil Springs," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia