Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Oklahoma Panhandle State University

OKLAHOMA PANHANDLE STATE UNIVERSITY.

Situated on 120 acres, the campus of Oklahoma Panhandle State University in Goodwell, Texas County, has witnessed many changes since the institution began in 1909 with an annual operating budget of five thousand dollars. Originally called Pan-Handle Agricultural Institute (PAI), the school developed as a result of Oklahoma's decision to establish "some sort of farmer's institute." A law passed in 1908 provided that "each of the Supreme Court judicial districts [shall have] a district agricultural school of secondary grade for instruction in agriculture and mechanics and allied branches, and domestic science, and economics, with courses of instruction leading to the Agricultural and Mechanical College, and the state normal schools."

Beginning in 1915 PAI offered course work to prepare public school teachers. In 1921 the institution became Panhandle Agricultural and Mechanical College (PAMC) and offered two-year college courses. At the time, the Oklahoma Legislature charged PAMC to use its 2,160-acre farm to investigate agricultural problems unique to Oklahoma's panhandle, to prepare public school teachers, and to train residents in agriculture, manual arts, literature, science, and home economics. In 1925 PAMC offered four-year college degrees. PAMC became known as Oklahoma Panhandle State College of Agriculture and Applied Science in 1967 and in 1974 the name was changed to Oklahoma Panhandle State University (OPSU). At the turn of the twenty-first century OPSU offered course work for both associate and bachelor degrees, the only Oklahoma institution of higher education to do so.

OPSU has five academic schools: Agriculture; Science, Mathematics, and Nursing; Liberal Arts; Business and Technology; and Education. OPSU also sponsors a nationally recognized Computer Information Systems Department and collegiate rodeo team, which won national titles in 1997, 1998, and 2000. Since 1941 the college has operated under the auspices of the Oklahoma State System of Higher Education.

Sara Richter and Tom Lewis

See also: AGRICULTURAL AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–NORMAL, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE

Bibliography

Oklahoma Panhandle State University General Catalog, 2001–02.

Kathryn A. Sexton, The Heritage of the Panhandle: The History of Panhandle State University: 1909–1979 (N.p.: N.p., 1979).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Sara Richter and Tom Lewis, "Oklahoma Panhandle State University," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia