Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Pryor, Nathaniel

PRYOR, NATHANIEL (ca. 1775–1831).

Explorer, soldier, trader, and Indian agent, Nathaniel Pryor was a pioneer of the Three Forks Area in northeastern Oklahoma. Born in Virginia, he was a son of John Pryor and Nancy Floyd. Although his year of birth is uncertain, Pryor was about twenty-three years of age when he married Margaret Patton in 1798. He was probably a widower when he joined the Lewis and Clark expedition at Louisville, Kentucky, in October 1803. After serving as a sergeant in the expedition, he became an ensign in the First Infantry, U.S. Army, in 1807. He left the army in 1810 but reenlisted during the War of 1812. As a captain in the Forty-fourth Infantry he served under Gen. Andrew Jackson at the battle of New Orleans.

Upon his discharge from the army "Captain" Pryor, as he was often called, settled at Arkansas Post above the mouth of the Arkansas River. There he and Samuel B. Richards formed a partnership to barter with the region's Indians. In 1819 Pryor received a license to trade with the Osage at the Three Forks of the Arkansas. Located about four miles northeast of present Muskogee, Oklahoma, the Three Forks is at the confluence of the Verdigris, Grand, and Arkansas rivers. There on the Verdigris, about two miles above its confluence with the Arkansas, he established a trading post. Pryor, who married an Osage woman, shared a close friendship with the tribe. His patrons were Chief Claremore's band.

Whether guiding English naturalist Thomas Nuttall through the countryside, helping to establish Union Mission among the Osage, or purchasing Osage horses for Thomas James's 1821 trading expedition to Santa Fe, Pryor was invaluable to the residents and visitors at the Three Forks. Military and government officials frequently called upon him to help in negotiations with the Osage. His relationship with the tribe led Gov. William Clark of Missouri Territory to appoint Pryor acting Osage subagent in 1827. Governor Clark, Three Forks resident Sam Houston, and Fort Gibson commander Col. Matthew Arbuckle were among those who recognized Pryor's value and petitioned to have his position made permanent. That permanency was established just before his death on June 10, 1831. Capt. Nathaniel Pryor died at the Osage subagency, located southeast of present Pryor in Mayes County, Oklahoma. That community and neighboring Pryor Creek bear his name.

Jon D. May

See also: FUR TRAPPERS AND TRADERS, OSAGE, THREE FORKS AREA, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

Grant Foreman, "Nathaniel Pryor," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 7 (June 1929).

Grant Foreman, "The Three Forks," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 2 (March 1924).

Glenna Parker Middlebrooks and Elizabeth Pryor Harper, "Ancestry of Captain Nathaniel Pryor," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 48 (Fall 1970).

Raymond W. Settle, "Nathaniel Pryor," The Mountain Men and the Fur Trade of the Far West, Vol. 2, ed. LeRoy R. Hafen (Glendale, Calif.: Arthur H. Clark, 1965).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Pryor, Nathaniel," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed December 13, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia