Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Red Fork Ranch

RED FORK RANCH.

Founded in 1872 at present Dover in Kingfisher County, the Red Fork Ranch was a strategically located trading post situated above the high water mark where the Chisholm Trail intersected the Cimarron River. At the time of its creation trading posts were referred to as "trader's ranches," and the river was known as "the Red Fork of the Arkansas River," thus originating the name Red Fork Trader's Ranch. In 1872 the trading firm of William McDole Lee and Albert E. Reynolds established the ranch. Lee and Reynolds encouraged cattlemen to fatten their herds over the winter on range surrounding the trading post. A semiweekly stage service from Arkansas City, Kansas, to Fort Sill created the need for keeping the ranch open year round.

Red Fork Ranch was abandoned briefly in 1874 during the Red River War. When the ranch was reoccupied, new stockade-style buildings were erected, and the original corral was divided into several corrals. The following year Lee and Reynolds sold their trading license to Daniel W. "Dan" Jones, the first of a succession of proprietors who made a living there while combating loneliness through the fall and winter months. The ranch had no distinct boundaries. An 1885 map indicates that it encompassed slightly more than one hundred thousand acres in the northeastern corner of present Kingfisher County. The location of the ranch trading post became the town site of Dover.

John Chapin, the final proprietor of Red Fork Ranch, refused to leave the ranch when "sooners" were being deported prior to the Land Run of 1889, contending that his trading license gave him a right to remain within the Unassigned Lands. A little after noon on April 22, 1889, he stepped out of his door and staked out a town lot, marking the closing of Red Fork Ranch.

Thomas L. Hedglen

See also: CATTLE INDUSTRY, CHISHOLM TRAIL

Bibliography

Hubert E. Collins, Warpath and Cattle Trail (New York: William Morrow and Co., 1928).

John L. Lillibridge, The Red Fork Ranch and Its People (N.p.: Greene's Print, 1990).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Thomas L. Hedglen, "Red Fork Ranch," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia