Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Sawyer

SAWYER.

The Choctaw County town of Sawyer is located on U.S. Highway 70, approximately eight miles east of Hugo near Lake Hugo. The community developed in the Choctaw Nation near Rock Chimney Ferry across the Kiamichi River on a road to Paris, Texas. During 1901–03 the Arkansas and Choctaw Railway, which changed its name to the St. Louis, San Francisco and New Orleans Railroad Company in 1902, built tracks through the area. The town that became Sawyer began as Gilbert on the railroad. The Post Office Department established a post office on June 27, 1902, and William Cravens, the first postmaster, named it Miah, for one of his sons. In 1903 the town's name changed to Sawyer, honoring Charles Sawyer, an attorney for the Dawes Commission. However, into the 1910s the railroad called the station Roby.

Farming and the timber industry, aided by rail access, carried the region's economy. In 1907 the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway acquired the line. Sawyer's/Roby's 1911 population stood near 250, and the town had a telephone connection, a sawmill, several grocers and general stores, a blacksmith, and a drugstore. In 1912 the Sawyer Times began reporting the area news. By 1918 the estimated population had declined to one hundred. In 1907 or 1908 the town built its first school, which eventually expanded to a two-year high school.

In 1967 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers initiated construction of Hugo Dam on the Kiamichi River, reinvigorating the town. In 1974 the impounding of the lake provided flood control, water quality and supply, recreation, and habitat for fish and wildlife. In 1990 Sawyer's population stood at 280. The town officially incorporated in 1996. In 2000 the federal census reported 274 residents. Ninety-seven percent of employed residents commuted to jobs in other towns. Children attended school at Fort Towson. In2010 Sawyer had 321 residents.

Larry O'Dell

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Oklahoma's Water Atlas (Norman: Oklahoma Water Resources Board, 1984).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey Publishing, 2003).

"Sawyer," Hugo (Oklahoma) Daily News, 1 July 1977.

"Sawyer," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "Sawyer," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia