Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Schulter

SCHULTER.

Located in Okmulgee County, eight miles south of Okmulgee (the county seat) and six miles north of Henryetta, Schulter lies west of the Deep Fork River. The hilly area around the town supports subsistence farming and stock raising. In 1900 the St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, or Frisco) built south from Sapulpa and Okmulgee to the new town of Henryetta, passing through future Schulter. The community's original name, as a railroad stop, may have been Winchell. A post office was established in August 1903 and named for Matt Schulter, said to be a resident of St. Louis, Missouri. After the railroad arrived, the coal industry became an important source of employment in this part of the Creek Nation, which would in 1907 become Okmulgee County. The mining companies brought in a variety of European immigrants, including Scottish, French, Polish, Lithuanian, Irish, and English, to work in the mines. By 1909 Schulter claimed two hundred residents, and the town had telephones as well as a school, a general store, three coal company offices, and pool hall. An oil boom after World War I brought jobs in exploration, production, and refining. WPA sources (the local postmaster) indicate a 1930 population of 650. Mining and petroleum have remained economic staples. U.S. Highways 62 and 75 provide access. The town incorporated on May 5, 1998, and the 2000 U.S. Census found 600 residents. In 2010 Schulter's population was 509.

Dianna Everett

See also: MINING TOWNS, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

R. L. Polk & Company, Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk & Company, 1909–1918).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

"Schulter," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Schulter ," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia