Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Seminole State College

SEMINOLE STATE COLLEGE.

Seminole State College, a two-year, state-funded college, was established in Seminole during the junior college movement. With an enrollment of fifty-seven, the first classes started on September 7, 1931, in the Seminole High School. All but six or eight of those students, who took advantage of earning one year of college credits, lived in Seminole, which had a population of 11,459 in 1930. Six faculty members taught eight subjects. English, French, physics, science, mathematics, and history were among the courses offered.

In 1969 the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education recommended that state-supported junior colleges separate from the local high schools. Thus, 359 students attended classes at the First Presbyterian Church until the administration and classroom building (later named Tanner Hall) was completed in summer 1971. Elmer Tanner served as the first president of Seminole Junior College. Additional buildings such as the David L. Boren Library, the Roesler Residential Learning Center, and the S. J. Sarkeys Dormitory have been constructed on the forty-acre campus.

On May 14, 1996, Gov. Frank Keating signed Senate Bill Number 836, authorizing the name change from Seminole Junior College to Seminole State College. At the turn of the twenty-first century approximately two thousand students enrolled at the institution, which offered associate degrees in arts and science and associate degrees in applied science. The institution provided postsecondary education for residents in Hughes, Lincoln, Okfuskee, Seminole, and Pottawatomie counties. The college also supported outreach classes in Wewoka and Shawnee.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE, JUNIOR COLLEGE MOVEMENT

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 19 May 1996.

"Education, Higher—Oklahoma—Seminole," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Seminole (Oklahoma) Morning News, 22 August and 5 September 1931.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Seminole State College," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia