Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Seven Hundred Ranch

SEVEN HUNDRED RANCH.

Located where present Ardmore developed, the 700 Ranch, which dates to at least 1879, was one of several Chickasaw Nation ranches operated by the Roff brothers, who migrated north from Texas. Initially serving as a line station to keep cattle from drifting farther south, the ranch headquarters consisted of a dogtrot log cabin. A replica of this original building has been placed on display at Ardmore's Greater Southwest Historical Museum. In 1885 the Lee brothers and other outlaws killed Jim and Andy Roff, who were part of a posse organized to capture the gang of bootleggers, murderers, and cattle rustlers. Alva Roff, who in 1867 married a Chickasaw citizen, continued operating the 700 Ranch, as well as the JR Ranch near present Springer. He had earlier established a cotton gin and a farm on the Red River. In addition to running his own cattle on 700 Ranch land, Roff also pastured Texas cattlemen's herds, charging a fee. Another Roff brother, Joe, ran cattle near present Roff. He founded Roff and served as its first postmaster. He also engaged in the mercantile business as well as in farming. In 1908 Alva Roff died near Ardmore, and Joe Roff died at Roff in 1940.

Larry O'Dell

See also: AMERICAN INDIANS, CATTLE INDUSTRY, CHICKASAW, RANCHING–AMERICAN INDIAN

Bibliography

Daily Ardmoreite (Ardmore, Oklahoma), 11 November 1908 and 28 July 1937.

D. C. Gideon, Indian Territory: Descriptive, Biographical and Genealogical, Including the Landed Estates, County Seats, etc., etc., with a General History of the Territory (New York: Lewis Publishing Co., 1901).

Charles L. Roff, We Were Young Together (New York: Vantage Press, 1973).

Joe T. Roff, "Reminiscences of Early Days in the Chickasaw Nation," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 13 (June 1935).

Julia K. Sparger, "Young Ardmore," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 43 (Winter 1965–66).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "Seven Hundred Ranch," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia