Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Shidler

SHIDLER.

A rural Osage County community, Shidler is situated at the junction of State Highways 11 and 18, twenty-nine miles northwest of Pawhuska. Shidler was named for Eugene S. Shidler, a Pawhuska banker and rancher, who founded the town in December 1921. He developed the 160-acre townsite on his land, which was located east-northeast of the Burbank Field. Consequently, Shidler boomed as an oil town.

The Osage Railway, a branch of the Midland Valley Railroad, reached Shidler from Foraker in February 1922. Businesses were quickly built near the Shidler depot, and a post office was soon established. Within three months of its founding, the community had roughly fifteen hundred residents, a school, a bank, a commercial club, and a chamber of commerce. By November 1922 the population had increased to approximately five thousand; public utilities, sidewalks, and a "fireproof" theater had been added; and various civic clubs and fraternal orders (including the Ku Klux Klan) were active in the community. Incorporation and the first city elections had occurred in May.

Shidler had nineteen oil-well supply businesses in 1922. In that year the Phillips Petroleum Company constructed "the world's largest" absorption gasoline plant west of town (six gasoline plants were operating near Shidler in 1930). An estimated forty thousand workers were then employed in the adjacent oil fields. They crowded the community's restaurants and caf├ęs and rented any available lodging. Unfortunately, prosperity attracted crime. Shidler's banks were frequently robbed, and highjackers were common along the roadways. In addition to the petroleum industry, farming and ranching were locally important as well.

Shidler declined with the Osage oil boom during the Great Depression. In 2010 it was a quiet community of 441 residents. In 1930 the first federal census recorded the town's highest population, which was 1,177. In 1940 and 1950 the numbers were 718 and 840, respectively. The population rose slightly to 870 in 1960 before falling to 487 in 1990 and 441 in 2000. At the turn of the twenty-first century Shidler had an aldermanic form of government, an elementary school and a high school, six churches, and the Review newspaper. Construction firms and the petroleum and natural gas industries helped support the economy. Area attractions included the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve.

Jon D. May

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Osage Oil Boom (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1989).

"Shidler, One of Oklahoma's Newly-born Towns," Harlow's Weekly 21 (28 October 1922).

"Shidler," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Shidler," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia