Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Velma

VELMA.

Velma is situated sixteen miles southeast of Duncan on State Highway 7 and nine miles east of the Stephens/Carter county line. The town is located in east-central Stephens County. Named for a local merchant's daughter, the Velma post office was established on September 25, 1886. The community had begun to develop in the late 1860s as settlers followed the cattle herds along the Chisholm Trail. Originally located in Pickens County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory, Velma was included in Stephens County, created at 1907 statehood.

During its early decades Velma was predominantly a farming community, with cotton being the principal cash crop. By the 1960s row crops and cattle-hog operations had preempted cotton, but agriculture remained an important local source of revenue. In 1917 an oil well was drilled in the Velma area, and the well continued to produce through the 1960s. Oil production and petroleum-related industries thereafter dominated Velma's economy. With oil activity at a high, Velma flourished in the 1960s and 1970s, and the town built a community water system and a nine-hole golf course. The golf course remains an area attraction. Between 1965 and 1969 the community also incorporated and obtained a bank and new telephone exchange.

In 1909 Velma had an estimated population of one hundred. Ten years later the town had grown to number approximately 150. The first federal census to include Velma came in 1970, at which time the community included 611 citizens. The town peaked in 1980 with a population of 831.The number of residents then fell to 661 in 1990. Holding steady, the population in 2000 stood at 664 inhabitants. In 2010 the census recorded 620. Among the various businesses in the community, a local newspaper has never been recorded.

Cynthia Savage

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 9 June 1963, 10 June 1969, and 12 April 1999.

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1909–1910 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1909).

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1918).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

"Velma," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Cynthia Savage, "Velma," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia