Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Washington

WASHINGTON.

In McClain County, the community of Washington is situated ten miles northwest of Purcell on State Highway 24. Washington's post office charter was approved on May 10, 1904. The post office was established at a site later called "Old" Washington, located about three miles west and one mile north of the present community. Postmaster John Randolph Kerr considered the surnames of former U.S. Presidents Washington, Madison, and Van Buren as possible town names. A popular local story, however, has Washington named in honor of the Caddo chief "Little Boy" George Washington, who previously lived in the area.

With the building of the Oklahoma Central Railway through present McClain County in 1907, Hiram Turner and his mixed-blood Choctaw-Chickasaw wife, Daisy Willis, petitioned the U.S. court at Muskogee to remove the restrictions from a surplus allotment east of their farm so that a townsite could be established. Following approval of the Turners' request on December 24, 1907, Washington became the first Oklahoma community after statehood to have tribal land restrictions removed for townsite purposes.

The Washington post office was moved to the present townsite and was one of the first buildings in the new community. A bank, cotton gins, a hotel, and a lumberyard were among the businesses established. The remaining lots quickly sold, and the town flourished as an agricultural community. In 1920 the first federal census for Washington counted 336 inhabitants. Numbers increased to 400 in 1930 but declined to 359 in 1940 and 292 in 1950. The population remained steady until 1980 when the town had 477 residents. In 2000 numbers peaked at 520. During World War II that number dropped to 265, but it grew to 279 in 1990, 520 in 2000, and 618 in 2010.

Hoyt Burns

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Hoyt Burns, Early History of the Town Washington, Oklahoma (Del City, Okla.: Del City Publishing, 1985).

Hoyt Burns, "Washington," in McClain County, Oklahoma: History and Heritage, ed. Joyce Rex, Vol. 1 (Purcell, Okla.: McClain County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1986).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Hoyt Burns, "Washington," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia