Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Summit

SUMMIT.

Summit, platted as South Muskogee in 1910, had a post office as early as 1896. One of more than fifty All-Black towns of Oklahoma, Summit is one of thirteen Black towns still existing at the end of the twentieth century. The town is located in Muskogee County six miles southwest of the city of Muskogee. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway had a depot in the community. The town may have been named Summit because it was the highest point on the railroad between Arkansas and the North Canadian rivers. Rev. L. W. Thomas organized the St. Thomas Primitive Baptist Church in 1923; in 1929 the congregation constructed a church building that still stands. The many businesses in Summit before World War II included a cotton gin, filling station, grocery, and garage. Although not incorporated until 1980, the town has always been self-governed.

Summit's W. E. B. DuBois School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places before burning to the ground in 1991. The St. Thomas Baptist Church is listed in the Oklahoma Landmark Inventory. Like many rural communities, Summit suffered during the Great Depression, and after World War II flight to urban centers added to the decline. The 1990 census listed 170 residents; in 1999 the town completed a new community center and remained optimistic about future growth. The population rose to 226 in 2000 but fell to 139 in 2010.

Larry O'Dell

See also: AFRICAN AMERICANS, ALL-BLACK TOWNS, CLEARVIEW, FRATERNAL ORDERS–AFRICAN AMERICAN, TAFT

Bibliography

George Carney, "Historic Resources of Oklahoma's All-Black Towns: A Preservation Profile," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 69 (Summer 1991).

Jimmie Lewis Franklin, Journey Towards Hope: A History of Blacks in Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1982).

Arthur Tolson, The Black Oklahomans: A History, 1541–1972 (New Orleans, La.: Edwards Printing Co., 1972).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photo Archives.


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "Summit," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed September 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia