Donating Items to the Research Center
Thank you for your interest in donating to the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Center. Your donations allow us to continue our mission to collect, preserve, and share the history of Oklahoma.
Collections Policy & Guidelines
Collection guidelines are established by the OHS Research Division collection policy; further guidance is provided by the historic context review. When making a donation, please consider the following:
- We ask that you schedule an appointment with our staff before bringing your items to the History Center.
- Donations cannot be accepted without a gift agreement.
- Donations may be tax deductible; however, OHS assumes no responsibility for evaluating donations. Any appraisals should be done prior to the donation.
- All donations are considered outright and unconditional gifts to be used at the discretion of the Oklahoma Historical Society. We retain the right to add, exchange, or sell gifts at our discretion.
- Because of the expense involved in housing, handling, maintaining, insuring, and exhibiting collections, loans cannot be accepted.
- Donations are accepted at the discretion of the archivist/librarian, and may be subject to the approval of the OHS Board of Directors.
- If, at any time, any portion of a gift is not deemed suitable to the purposes of the Research Division, it may be disposed of at the discretion of the archivist/librarian, or it may be returned to the donor if so specified.
- Donations are incorporated into regular collections and placed with other similar materials for browsing and easy access. We cannot provide special display cases or shelving areas.
For complete details please read our collection policy. To find out more about the geographical areas, chronological periods, and historical themes of special interest see the historic context review.
Keep in Mind
Materials NOT accepted include:
- Out-of-state city directories, telephone books, yearbooks, and atlases;
- Photocopies of books, periodicals, photos, and maps;
- Newspaper articles or clippings;
- Moldy or severely damaged materials.
Please contact our staff to discuss your donation and/or schedule an appointment. Each department may have special areas of focus, needs, or requests in regard to donations. Please see the department pages for contact info and further details.
- Books and periodicals
- Manuscript archives
- Photo archives
- Audio and oral histories
- Film and video
All donations must be accompanied by a gift agreement. The gift agreement helps staff to know when an item was donated and from whom. It also officially transfers ownership of an item.