Our collection includes many other resources including cemetery books, birth, death and marriage indexes, family and county histories and many other items pertaining to genealogical research. Search the catalog to explore our holdings.
Submit a Research Request
The Research Center offers a research services for patrons seeking genealogical and historical information. For complete details and forms visit our orders & fees page.
American Indian Ancestry
- New! Hastain's Township Plats of the Creek Nation
- 1896 Applications for Enrollment
- Dawes Final Rolls of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Finding Your American Indian Ancestors (PDF)
- New! Oklahoma Military Casualties Database Online Exhibit
- New! Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame Online Exhibit
- 1889 Oklahoma County Land Database & Map
- 1901 El Reno Land Lottery - individuals whose names were drawn
- 1890 Oklahoma Territorial Census Index
- 1901 El Reno and Lawton land lottery tickets (partial listing)
- 1933 Unemployment Relief Census
- Biographical & Topical Vertical Files
- City Directories
- Divorce records from Oklahoma County
- Deaths found in OKC City Directories, 1918, 1920-23
- Family Histories
- Gateway to Oklahoma History - Historic Newpapers Online
- Indian Pioneer Histories (Available online through the University of Oklahoma)
- Marriage Records - Oklahoma County and Western District, IT
- Newspaper Archives
- Oklahoman Obituary Index
- Oklahoma City Death Register, 1908-1926
- Oklahoma County Marriage Records
- Oklahoma Military Deaths - WWI, WWII, Vietnam and Korea
- Phone Books
- Probate Records from Oklahoma County, 1890-1928
- School Reports from the Dawes Commission Records
- Smith's First Directory of Oklahoma Territory
- US Census Records
1940 US Census
The 1940 US Federal Census will be made available to the public on April 2, 2012. Find out more.
Charts & Forms
Keeping your notes organized is key to genealogical research. Use the charts below to keep track of your information. If you plan to visit the Research Center it is helpful to bring a pedigree chart along with you. When completing a pedigree chart, begin with yourself and work backwards.
- Pedigree Chart - 8.5x11 (PDF)
- Pedigree Chart - 11x17 (PDF)
- OHS Resource Form (PDF) - use to keep track of materials you found useful, and the information they provided
Research Guides & Resources
These guides provide an introduction to researching various topics in the OHS Research Center.
Adobe Reader is required to view these files. Download Reader
- Finding Your American Indian Ancestors
- Finding Your Civil War Ancestors
- Vertical Files
- County Histories
- Land Records
- Oklahoma Land Openings Map
- Researching the History of Your House
- Researching Your Civil War Ancestor
- Marriage Records
Genealogy Subscription Websites
Available in the Research Center
The Research Center offers free in-library access to Ancestry Library Edition® and HeritageQuest Online™ and Fold3.com. These sites allow patrons visiting the Research Center to search, view and print various genealogical records, documents and images.
Ancestry Library® offers US Census, ship logs and passenger indexes, WWI draft registration cards, vital records, and the Social Security Death Index.
HeritageQuest™ also includes US Census as well as Revolutionary War pension & bounty-land warrant applications; the Freedman's Bank (1856-1874); and PERSI (Periodical Source Index), an index of almost 2 million genealogical and local history articles.
Fold3.com (formerly Footnote.com) includes documents relating to the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, US Presidents, American Indian records, historical newspapers, naturalization documents, and more.