Home |   Research Center |   Photographs |  Hillerman Map Project

The Hillerman Map Project

Photographs of Oklahoma City

21412.M500.8, Z.P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection, OHS (map #1Q)

Oklahoma Club Building

Address: 202–208 West Grand Avenue (Sheridan Avenue)

View: South

Architect: Hawk and Parr (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor 72)

Built: 1921 (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor 72)

"Built in 1921 and opened to its members in 1922, the Oklahoma Club Building was a delight to everyone. Designed by Oklahoma City architects Hawk and Parr, the structure was seven stories high with a light red brick veneer, white stone trim, and a red tile roof. The main floor had a spacious lounge, a cigar stand, and the manager's office. The club's main dining room was on the second floor and the members' wives and daughters enjoyed a ladies' parlor and five private dining rooms on the third floor. The fourth, fifth and sixth floors had apartments for members and their out-of-town guests. The top floor had one of the city's most beautiful ballrooms, available to members for dances or to outside organizations on rental basis. Located twenty-five feet west of Robinson, it was on the south side of the street at 202-208 West Grand. [Last] remembered as the Tivoli Inn, the entire building has disappeared." (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor 72)

"Perhaps no where was the enthusiasm for Pei's plan more evident than at the Oklahoma Club, which got its start as an oasis for drinkers and gamblers during the heyday of national prohibition. The lower lobby of the club was described as a 'little Las Vegas,' filled with the sound of marbles rolling around roulette wheels, the mechanical chink of slot machines, and dice skipping across felt. The private club's membership included legislators and political power brokers, enough to encourage police to look the other way. With the end of prohibition and the growth of the suburbs and country clubs, the Oklahoma Club declined and finally closed in 1959." (Lackmeyer and Money 22)





Click points or areas on the map to view historic photographs of downtown Oklahoma City.


Ford Assembling Plant
Municipal Auditorium
Bird’s Eye View of Civic Center and Courthouse
Old County Courthouse
Montgomery Ward Building
Hotel Black
Motor Hotel
Plaza Court
Gene Jones Motor Co.
Magnolia Petroleum Company
Rockwell Apartments
Masonic Temple (Home State Life Building)
Kirkpatrick Hotel
Elks Lodge (Key Building, ONG Building)
Federal Building
US Post Office
Federal Reserve Bank
Cotton-Exchange Building
Oklahoma County Courthouse
YWCA
Hightower Building
Mercantile Building (Levy Building)
Majestic Building
First National Building
Wright Building
Skirvin Tower
Rock Island Railroad Depot
Skirvin Hotel
Insurance Building
Public Warehouse Company
Patterson and Hoffman Wholesale Cigars and Pipes
Milner Hotel
Hotel Kingkade
Herskowitz Building
Santa Fe Railroad Station
Wells Roberts Hotel
Sooner Theatre
Colcord Building
Baltimore Building
Midwest Theatre
Kress
Lerner
Katz Drug
The American National Building
Empire Building
Criterion Theatre
Biltmore Hotel
Oklahoma Club Building
Farmer's National Bank Building
Commerce Exchange Building
Huckins Hotel, Huckins Garage
Campbell Building
Hales Building
Fidelity Bank
Britling Cafeteria
Manly Office Supply Company
Perrine Building, Cravens Building
Baum Building
Security National Building
Ramsey Tower, City National Building
Petroleum Building
Franklin Building
Braniff Building
Kerr-McGee Building
Capitol Federal Savings and Loan
Telephone, Pioneer, Southwestern Bell
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Parade on Broadway
Street View
Street View
Aerial View
Bird’s Eye View
Bird’s Eye View
Bird’s Eye View

The Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection

The Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection includes thousands of images, many of which depict businesses in Oklahoma City. Many photographs in the collection are from the Meyers Photo Shop, which employed Barney Hillerman and other photographers. This map highlights significant buildings in the downtown Oklahoma City area, as well as street and aerial views. The map features images dating from the late 1920s to the 1960s.

This project was made possible by a grant from the Pauline Dwyer Macklanburg and Robert A. Macklanburg Jr. Foundation.

You can view more images from the Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection on The Gateway to Oklahoma History.
Visit The Gateway to Oklahoma History.